Professor Eugene Eoyang
Sr. Hon. Advisor – Peace Education
Professor Eugene EOYANG is Professor Emeritus of Humanities at Lingnan University (Hong Kong) and Professor Emeritus of Comparative Literature and of East Asian Languages and Cultures at Indiana University (Bloomington). He was Chair Professor of Humanities (2004-2008) and Director of General Education at Lingnan University in Hong Kong (2000-2008)
Professor Eoyang is a renowned scholar in comparative literature and translations. He specializes in the areas of translation theory and practice, Chinese literature, Chinese-Western literary relations, globalization, cross-cultural studies, and literary theory. He is the author of The Transparent Eye: Translation, Chinese Literature, and Comparative Poetics (University of Hawaii Press, 1993), Coat of Many Colors: Reflections on Diversity by a Minority of One (Beacon Press, 1995), and the co-editor, with Lin Yao-Fu, Translating Chinese Literature (Indiana University Press, 1995). He is a fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of the arts, manufactures, and commerce.
- Indiana University, Ph.D. (comparative literature), 1966-71.
- Columbia University, A.M. (high distinction, English literature), 1959-60.
- Harvard College, A.B. (magna cum laude, English literature), 1955-59.
- Horace Mann School for Boys, Riverdale, New York, 1951-55.
- New York City Public Schools, P.S. 169, P.S. 173, J.H.S.115, 1946-51.
- English Grammar School, Karachi, India (now Pakistan).
Languages: Chinese (speak, read, write); French (speak, read, write); German (read).
Fellowships, Awards, Honors:
- Harvard Club Scholarship, 1955-58.
- Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, 1959-60.
- National Defense Education Act, Title VI, 1966-68.
- Fulbright-Hays Research Fellowship, 1968-69.
- Indiana University East Asian Studies Summer Grant, 1972, 1974.
- Indiana University Summer Faculty Fellowship, 1974.
- Indiana University Grant-in-Aid for Research, 1974-75, 1980-81.
- Alfred Hodder Fellowship, Council of the Humanities, Princeton University,1974-75.
- Lilly Endowment Faculty Open Fellowship, 1980-81.
- Honorary Member, Order of Omega, Indiana University, 1991
- Nominated for a Teaching Award by the Comparative Literature Department, Indiana University, 1991, 1992, 1993.
- Vice President, American Comparative Literature Association, 1993-95; President,
- Renditions Honorary Fellow, Translation Centre, Chinese University of Hong Kong,
- Who’s Who in the World 1995- .
- Nominated for Second Vice President of MLA (one of three: Edward Said elected),
- Chair, Intercultural Studies Committee, International Comparative Literature Association, 1997- .
- Honorary Professor, College of Literature and of Journalism, Sichuan University.
- Vice President, Fédération Internationale des Littératures et Langues Modernes
- Executive Council, International Comparative Literature Association, 2000-2003.
- 1999-2000 Robert and Beverly Lewis Lecture in the Humanities, University of
Oregon, Eugene, February 24, 2000.
- Fellow, Royal Society for the encouragement of the arts, merchandise, and commerce,
- Honorary Fellow, Institute of Linguists (Hong Kong Regional Society), 2002- .
- Teaching Excellence Award, Lingnan University, award presented October 24, 2004.
- Editorial Trainee, Doubleday and Company, New York, New York, 1960-61
- Editor, Doubleday and Company (Anchor Books), 1961-66.
- Lecturer, Comparative Literature, Indiana University, 1969-71.
- Assistant Professor of Comparative Literature, Indiana University, 1971-74.
- Assistant Chairman, Comparative Literature, Indiana University, 1971-74.
- Associate Chairman, Comparative Literature, Indiana University, 1973; 1975.
- Acting Chairman, Comparative Literature, Indiana University, Spring-Summer, 1976.
- Associate Professor, Comparative Literature, Indiana University, 1974-80.
- Associate Professor, East Asian Languages and Cultures, Indiana University, 1976-80.
- Associate Dean, Office of Research and Graduate Development, 1977-80.
- Professor of Comparative Literature and of East Asian Languages and Cultures,
Indiana University, 1980-
- Chair, Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, 1982-84.
- Resident (and Founding) Director, East Asian Summer Language Institute, Indiana
- Acting Director, East Asian Studies Center, Indiana University, Fall Semester,
- Visiting Professor, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Spring, 1987.
- Chair Professor of English, Lingnan College / University, Hong Kong, 1996-2004.
- Chair Profesor of Humanities, Lingnan University, 2004-2008.
- Visiting Professor of Translation, Hong Kong Baptist University, 2008-
- Word of Mouth: Oral Storytelling in the Pien-wen , Ann Arbor: University
- Ai Qing: Selected Poems, Edited with an Introduction and Notes (and over thirty translations), Beijing: The Foreign Languages Press; Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1982 (the first book co-published by a U. S. publisher and a press in the People’s Republic of China), 457 pp.
- The Transparent Eye: Translation, Chinese Literature, and Comparative Poetics,
University of Hawaii Press, 1993.
- Coat of Many Colors: Reflections on Diversity by a Minority of One. Beacon Press,
- Translating Chinese Literature, edited with Lin Yao-fu. Bloomington: Indiana
University Press, 1995
- Liberal Arts Education: Lingnan University and the World, Editor. Lingnan
- ’Borrowed Plumage’: Polemical Essays on Translation. Rodopi Publishers, 2003.
- Intercultural Explorations: Volume 8 of the Proceedings of the VXth Congress of the International Comparative Literature Association “Literature as Cultural Memory”, Leiden, 16-22 August l997. Amsterdam-New York, N. Y.: Rodopi, 2005.
- Two-way Mirrors: Cross-Cultural Studies in Glocalization. Rowman and Littlefield
(Lanham, MD: Lexington Books), 2007.
- The Smile of a Crocodile: Rhymes for Chloe (and Kyle), 2008.